Comprehensive Plan 2050
A Comprehensive Plan is a guiding document that states a community’s desire for the future. Typical comprehensive plans include a Land Use Strategy, Development, Infrastructure and Public Services Strategy, Economic/Fiscal Strategy, Mobility Strategy, and Strategic Investment Areas Strategy. While a comprehensive plan states the community’s vision for the future, it does not constitute zoning regulations or establish zoning district boundaries. However, a comprehensive plan should be used to provide a basis for future zoning decisions.
As a key document for City leadership and City staff, the comprehensive plan is also used to coordinate and guide the future establishment of development regulations. It helps guide public investments in transportation and other infrastructure improvements to aide in guiding future development.
The Henderson 2050 Comprehensive Plan acts as the City’s guidebook for the location, intensity, and character of future development, and provides additional policy guidance on various elements within the City, including land uses, transportation, infrastructure, facilities, and more.
Many events were held from June 2022 to April 2023 to gather public opinion and solicit feedback on the focused direction of the plan. These events included numerous stakeholder interviews, an Open House, multiple Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee meetings, a focus group meeting, and joint workshops with the Planning and Zoning Committee and the Henderson City Council.
Citizen Focus Points
• Balancing Growth: The community encouraged attracting new larger commercial developments that generate new jobs and economic activity, while still preserving small town character.
• Economic Development: A common theme heard was creating strategies for economic opportunities in Henderson through jobs, new businesses, and activity centers.
• Infrastructure: The community supports implementing strategies to encourage new growth and development by expanding infrastructure, especially around the west side of Henderson along the Loop 571 corridor.
• Community Pride and Character: Residents love their community gathering places, such as Downtown Henderson and the City’s rich park system, which help support community building and social activities. The community supports increasing festivals and events while investing in existing and new gathering places, which could help reinforce community unity.
• Downtown: Henderson’s downtown is a huge strength and opportunity. It serves as an anchor for the community and is well loved by all. Continued expansion of new businesses is encouraged, as well as opportunities for evening and weekend activities to support Downtown activation at all times of the day and all days of the week.
By 2050 Henderson will be a family-oriented, vibrant, diverse, and welcoming community that strives to:
• Embrace its unique traditions and culture
• Focus on the future through attracting strategic economic growth opportunities
• Invest in the success of all families
• Serve as a regional destination for East Texas
• Preserve its hometown spirit
This Vision Statement details the desires of the Henderson community in terms of its' social, economic, and physical conditions. It is an aspirational statement; carefully crafted to relay an inspiring image of the future that the Community seeks achieve.
Guiding Principles provide high level guidance across plan components, detailing the important general principles that should be followed in order to achieve the Vision. These Guiding Principles apply at the entire City level and shape the more detailed policies that apply to each topical area.
To achieve our 2050 vision, Henderson will:
1. Support our small-town charm and core family-based values through the continued investment in family-friendly activities, easily accessible parks and open space, and an exceptional school system.
2. Continue to prioritize Downtown Henderson as an asset and central gathering space, by increasing parking options, retaining current businesses, and attracting new ones to the area. Guiding Principles
3. Promote Henderson as a tourism destination to nearby urban centers and to the rest of the State by increasing branding and marketing opportunities for downtown and other key business locations.
4. Capitalize on the anticipated Loop 571 expansion by investing in new infrastructure improvements and by incentivizing strategic development along the corridor.
5. Attract new residential developments through partnerships with developers that offer a diversity of housing types and price ranges to support residents at all stages of their lives.
6. Invest in further expansion to Henderson’s industrial/business park by attracting and retaining new and existing industries.
7. Create economic strategies and incentives to attract new businesses and jobs throughout the City.
8. Encourage walkability and multi-modal transportation options City-wide by providing sidewalks, hike, and bike trails.
9. Promote the health and vitality of Henderson’s neighborhoods, businesses, and infrastructure.
10. Preserve the floodplain areas as natural open spaces, trails and corridors, and stormwater management assets.
11. Diversify entertainment options by attracting new commercial and destination related activity centers that provide activities for evening and weekends.
12. Create Public/Private Partnerships to increase access to high quality infrastructure.
13. Address Social Services needs by partnering with organizations that provide assistance and services to the local community.
14. Partner with local educational institutions to focus investment in existing and future educational opportunities and attract new options to the Henderson area.
A Flexible and Alterable Guide
The Comprehensive Plan for the City of Henderson is designed to be a flexible planning tool that adapts to evolving needs and circumstances. Any significant amendments to the plan should not be made without conducting a comprehensive analysis of immediate requirements and considering the potential long-term impacts. The Henderson City Council and other officials must carefully evaluate each proposed amendment to assess its alignment with Plan’s objectives and policies, as well as its potential contribution to the City’s long-term well-being and vibrancy.
Annual Review A regular review of the Plan should be conducted yearly to assess its relevance in light of current conditions and trends. These scheduled evaluations will provide valuable insights for adjusting capital expenditures and priorities, as well as identifying any necessary changes or additions to the Plan to ensure its long-term applicability. It would be beneficial to dedicate an annual meeting of the Planning & Zoning Commission to thoroughly examine the status of and ongoing relevance of the Plan, considering current conditions.
Areas that require specific attention should be examined in detail, and appropriate changes or additions should be made as needed. Through these periodic evaluations, the Plan will remain functional and continue to provide civic leaders with effective guidance in decision making.
Periodic reviews of the Plan should encompass the following considerations:
• The City’s progress in plan implementation
• Community support for the Plan’s goals and recommendations
• Shifts in City officials’ policies and priorities
• Changes in State laws
• Changes in the conditions that formed the foundation of the Plan